We have all got together to compile a Top Ten places to go in the New Forest! So the following list is in no particular order but means a lot to a member of the team at Woodlands Lodge. Enjoy!
1) Deerleap- This is a fantastic walk in the New Forest. Ideal for those with small children, as well as dog owners (off lead opportunities). Located opposite the New Forest Wild Life Park it is only 10 minutes from Woodlands Lodge Hotel. You can do a there and back walk incorporating a big stream or a loop which has a large and small version depending on ability. This walk is Imogene’s favourite, as it is peaceful and you see the stunning New Forest scenery and usually see the ponies and cattle out!
2) Woodlands Walk- a 5 mile loop walk that starts and finishes at the hotel (maps are available from reception). This is Toms favourite, and the reason behind it is simple the route encompasses a Pub!!!! no need to say any more 🙂
3) Lepe Country Park – Located about 25/30 minutes from the hotel and is Roberts favourite New Forest haunt. It has over a mile of beautiful coastline to take a tranquil stroll (or embark on the Lepe loop- we do love a circular walk at Woodlands Lodge!!). It is the perfect spot to see the boats and windsurfers on the Solent and also capture magnificent views of the Isle of Wight. Robert who is a keen sailor loves the atmosphere of this place. It is also ideal for the kids, as it has a play ground and a café is located on site so perfect Summer for ice cream or a winter warm up.
4) Lyndhurst- Thought of as the Capital of the New Forest it is only approx. 4 miles from Woodlands Lodge Hotel. It is Gina’s favourite place to go because of the many tea shops and lovely little unique ‘knick knack’ shops, where you can browse for a whole afternoon. Lyndhurst is also home of the New Forest visitors centre which provides info and maps on the whole area, The Forestry commission is also based here. Definitely worth a visit in our opinion.
5) Our Hunters Restaurant- surprise, surprise this is recommended by head chef John!! He has produced a wonderful Summer menu- so why not stay in and relax and unwind whilst we spoil you with freshly prepared food in our elegant dining room. We also have an AA rosette for culinary excellence. So I think all the team would agree not one to miss.
6) Ringwood Brewery Tour- Summed up by Nick our Commis Chef as ‘ great beer, great tour’. This is a great day out, and takes about 2 hours, The tour includes a complimentary drink in our Pin Room, a tour of the brewery where you can taste the malted barleys, have a sniff of the hops, and see the fermentations bubbling away in the TunRoom. The tour is very popular and so pre booking is essential.
7) Paultons Park, no list would be complete without this attraction, which can be reached within 10 minutes from the hotel. Paulton’s is a family theme park with over 60 rides and attractions. It is also the home of Peppa Pig world. It is also dare devil Charlotte’s top pick!
8) West Quay shopping Centre- Woodlands Lodge Hotel is only 15 minutes from Southampton city centre, so perfect to visit for a spot of shopping. With a large John Lewis and M&S the West Quay shopping centre can cater for pretty much all your retail needs. This is another recommendation from Gina, and I am sure she can advise plenty more good places to shop if you chat to her at reception.
9) The New Forest Bus tour- This is a great way to see the Forest during the Summer time, and really easy too, as the bus stop is at the end of the Hotel driveway. It is a hop on hop off tour encompassing all the sights of the Forest. There are 3 routes, maps available from the hotel and Lyndhurst Visitor Centre. Or just sit on the top deck and enjoy the view and hop off 2 hours later back at the hotel 🙂 This was Tom and Imogene’s second top pick.
10) Cycling- We all agree that one of the top ways to see the New Forest is by bike! We have routes you can take directly from the hotel. We also have 5 bikes we hire out from the hotel. Brockenhurst and Ashurst also have great routes and bikes can also be hired directly from these locations. We can advise the best choice for you if you come and discuss your plans with us at reception.
So, that’s our list. Hopefully you will see that there is loads of great stuff to do on our door step and also know a little bit more about us before you visit the hotel.
We are always happy to assist you with your plans and trips during your stay so either give us a call or talk to us at reception and we will try and assist.
See you soon